Renewable & Sustainable fuel
Most municipal and industrial power plants have three primary fuel sources that are used to produce steam and electricity: natural gas, coal, and woody biomass. All three fuels have advantages and disadvantages that are unique to each power plant. While natural gas and woody biomass can provide environmental benefits compared to coal, the capital cost of conversion can be high and the supply chain for fuel often proves limited or expensive. On the other hand, while coal is plentiful, the delivered cost can be high, and the capital required to meet environmental compliance can be challenging.
Convergen Energy offers a cost-effective fuel option that can either be used as a substitute for one of these traditional fuels, or in combination with these fuels, to meet power plant economic and environmental objectives. The pellets typically reduce air emissions and overall fuel cost when blended with traditional fuels or when used as a stand-alone fuel. Costs associated with adopting our fuel technology are minimal as most coal-burning boilers can burn Convergen fuel pellets without significant capital expense or major facility modification.
Our fuel is consistent, efficient, and typically delivers >11,000 Btu/lb, (similar to coal). The fuel is used in a wide variety of applications including:
- In stoker boilers at industrial power plants to reduce coal consumption
- In circulating fluidized bed and bubbling fluidized bed boilers
- Blended with biomass to improve energy rating and help moisture control
- Blended with coal at fuel terminals for customers to improve the handling of coal and meet corporate renewable fuel targets
Examples of meeting our customers’ requirements include:
- Public utilities burning Convergen Energy pellets to fulfill state-required levels of green energy production
- Major manufacturers integrating renewable fuels as a part of corporate sustainability plans and to provide cost-effective fuel flexibility.
- Paper mills teaming with Convergen Energy as both raw material supplier and pellet customer
Conveyance and custom forumlas
The pellets can be delivered by truck, rail, or barge to customers. Pellets are weather resistant and can be stored outdoors if required. Most biomass and coal conveyance systems work very well with our fuel.
We can also use our expertise in solid fuel engineering and pelletization to custom formulate fuels using other feedstocks that are important to individual customers such as:
- Biomass feedstocks and residuals such as: oat hulls, miscanthus, corn stover, and other biogenic feedstocks
- Traditional wood type biomass
- Other feedstocks that meet the EPA Alternative Fuels requirements